Tuesday 25 April 2017

April 25, 2017
The Scripture selection for today is Mark16:9-20. Most versions of the Bible have the Gospel of Mark ending abruptly at Chapter 16 verse 8. And acknowledge that verses 9-20 were added later. I presume they were added later because they held a lesson for the early Christians. In the story, Jesus has appeared to Mary Magdalene and. She goes to tell the disciples, but they don't believe her. Then Jesus appears to two of them in a different form. The rest of the disciples don't believe them either. Then Jesus appears to all 11 of the remaining disciples and scolds them for their earlier disbelief. The passage goes on to give a version of the great commission - to go and spread the word everywhere. Two things caught my attention in this passage. The scepticism of the disciples and Jesus' scolding them for it. And then there was the bit about Jesus appearing to the two "in a different form". It made me think of the idea that the risen Christ dwells in and is manifest through each of us. I guess I have certain expectations of people who are going to represent Christ to me. "Weirdos" don't qualify. But if I think back over my life, when I've been in trouble, or in some need. It has frequently been a "weirdo" who has been most compassionate and helpful when I needed it. And at the time they didn't seem like "weirdos" any more. But, in time their behavior, or looks, or values departed from my expectations, and once again they were "weirdos"! How could I forget? How could I disbelieve the presence of Christ in them?

Lord Jesus Christ, you are the author of love and compassion. You are the one who showed us how to reach out and help those needing help. And you are the one who chooses whom you will use as an instrument of your grace. Forgiving Saviour, I know better than to categorize some people as unworthy or unfit to be an instrument of your grace. But, I find that I keep doing it. Help me to look at everyone with the expectation that something of you is in them. Help me to honor all people as I would honor you. And as I think about the scepticism of  your first disciples, I recognize my own scepticism, even as I declare loudly that I believe, and with all the integrity I can muster. Your first disciples went on to accomplish great things in extending your kingdom. Help me Lord, to not let scepticism stand in the way of loving and serving you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment