Tuesday 2 May 2017

May 2 2017

May 2, 2017
Canadian Bible Society Daily Bible Reading
Acts 2.40-47
Peter told them many other things as well. Then he said, "I beg you to save yourselves from what will happen to all these evil people."  On that day about three thousand believed his message and were baptized.  They spent their time learning from the apostles, and they were like family to each other. They also broke bread and prayed together.
Life among the Lord's Followers
Everyone was amazed by the many miracles and wonders that the apostles worked.  All the Lord's followers often met together, and they shared everything they had.  They would sell their property and possessions and give the money to whoever needed it.  Day after day they met together in the temple. They broke bread together in different homes and shared their food happily and freely,  while praising God. Everyone liked them, and each day the Lord added to their group others who were being saved. ~~~~~~~
On the Day of Pentecost, when the first Christians began to speak in tongues, an international crowd gathered to see what.was going on. The apostle Peter got their attention and made a speech explaining what had happened to Jesus, and that he was risen from the dead. Today's Scripture gives the end of the speech (an appeal to be saved), and tells what happened next. It's really the story of the expansion of the church. They started on the day of Pentecost (a traditional Jewish celebration) with the 11 remaining disciples, and a few others like the women who had supported Jesus. Really, there were only a handful of people, probably fewer than 20. Then after Peter's speech, 3000 people believed, were baptized and became part of the Christian community. Imagine, 3000 people who were strangers to each other suddenly changed from living independently of each other to living in community. The passage says they were like family to each other - they broke bread and prayed together.
I find myself longing for that kind of close community. In our society we are so isolated from each other. My generation used to be called the "me" generation. Today's younger generation has been labeled the "entitlement" generation. Really, we are all the same. Individualism is our focus, more than community. The communities we form are around our individual common interests. We'll join a gourmet cooking class and that will be our source of community. But, it's temporary. When the class is over we separate, and go home to our isolation. Our involvement with faith and church can be the same. Momentary and temporary once a week, or month, or season. When the last hymn is sung, we go home to our isolated individualism. The fact, I think, is that we like being somewhat isolated. When I'm isolated I can do my own thing without obligations to others interrupting me. However, the part of community I miss so much is that nobody feels any sense of obligation to me. I'm on my own!
I know the answer to my dilemma very well. If I want the benefits of being part of a community I have to let go some of my cherished individualism and isolation (I righteously call it solitude) and intentionally start thinking and behaving communally. Seeking connection with my fellow Christians. Certainly, that involves attending worship. But, it's more. It's making thle effort to get to know others, caring about their journey through life, and offering what I can to help them. It also involves being open with others about my life - letting other people in.
Oh, but how I cherish my own inner space, and how I fear becoming more vulnerable. I might be taken advantage of! Shifting from living individualistically to living communally is no small task! How did those first Christians do it? Maybe their shift happened as a result of placing their faith totally in Jesus Christ.
Lord Jesus, I want to be totally committed to you, and I want to be part of your loving, caring community. I also cherish privacy and my individual pursuits. Please help me to navigate this dilemma and sacrifice at least some of my individualism for the sake of your community. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment