Thursday 4 May 2017

May 4, 2017

May 4, 2017
Proverbs 30.7-32
There are two things, Lord, I want you to do for me before I die: Make me absolutely honest and don't let me be too poor or too rich. Give me just what I need. If I have too much to eat, I might forget about you; if I don't have enough, I might steal and disgrace your name.
Don't tell a slave owner something bad about one of the slaves. That slave will curse you, and you will be in trouble.
Some people curse their father and even their mother; others think they are perfect, but they are stained by sin. Some people are stuck-up and act like snobs; others are so greedy that they gobble down the poor and homeless.
Greed has twins, each named "Give me!" There are three or four things that are never satisfied: The world of the dead and a childless wife, the thirsty earth and a flaming fire.
Don't make fun of your father or disobey your mother— crows will peck out your eyes, and buzzards will eat the rest of you.
There are three or four things I cannot understand: How eagles fly so high or snakes crawl on rocks, how ships sail the ocean or people fall in love.
An unfaithful wife says, "Sleeping with another man is as natural as eating."
There are three or four things that make the earth tremble and are unbearable: A slave who becomes king, a fool who eats too much, a hateful woman who finds a husband, and a slave who takes the place of the woman who owns her.
On this earth four things are small but very wise: Ants, who seem to be feeble, but store up food all summer long; badgers, who seem to be weak, but live among the rocks; locusts, who have no king, but march like an army; lizards, which can be caught in your hand, but sneak into palaces.
Three or four creatures really strut around: Those fearless lions who rule the jungle, those proud roosters, those mountain goats, and those rulers who have no enemies.
If you are foolishly bragging or planning something evil, then stop it now!
~~~~
Some Bible passages are rich gold mines for spiritual growth. Others - not so much! For me, this one falls into the not so much category. But it does give me a chuckle. The author's opening request is for God to give him just enough. He regards wealth as spiritually dangerous, and poverty as uncomfortable, and he wants to be comfortable. Like Goldie Locks's porridge, the authors of proverbs wants his life to be just right! Then further on he declares that greed has twins, both named "give me". "Gimme Gimme never gets!" Isn't that what the author has just done? "Gimme a comfortable life!" The advice giver, speaking out of both sides of his mouth made me chuckle. And then I had to think, how many times do I speak out of both sides of my mouth? How consistent and systematic am I in the expression of my faith?
The Proverb winter points his finger at a number of things he considers evil. Malicious gossip (about the slave). Cursing or idolizing parents (as a parent I'd prefer the latter!) Snobbery and greed. He visits greed twice. He also condemns adulterous women twice. And on the subject of wives he declares that a hateful woman who finds a husband makes the earth tremble and is unbearable. I'm beginning to wonder about the relationship the author has with his wife!
He also talks about gluttony, and about stepping above your station in life. He really doesn't like the idea of the slave becoming King. That last sin, stepping above your station in life, really flies in the face of a Christian imperative. The one who wants to be first must be the servant of all. Christian greatness lies in service. The slave becomes King!
After rambling on about things he doesn't understand, and naming the sins that are so common, the author concludes with the one thing that makes sense to me. If you're bragging about or planning to do something wrong, stop now.
Most of us have a pretty clear sense of right and wrong. The first principle in the hypocratic oath says it very simply. "Do no harm!" We don't have to be medical practitioners to apply that dictum to our lives. If we make a practice of mentally assessing our actions, before we do things, we'll live life with a pretty clear conscience. But, more importantly, our impact in the world will be much more positive than negative. The quality of life for those around us will be better. --- remember Christian greatness lies in service.
Lord Jesus Christ you came to serve and not to be served, help us to life our lives in a "do no harm" manner. And thank you for your example of sel-sacrificing service. Amen.

3 comments: